Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
Are you suffering from sagging or droopy breasts? Do you find that your once perky breasts are now pointing toward the floor? Feeling self-conscious and wishing there was a remedy that would restore your appearance to a more youthful, healthy look? A breast lift, also known as mastopexy, raises the breasts and makes them look firmer and perkier.
Dr. Richard Tepper can help!
REASONS for Breast Lifts
As a woman ages, skin loses some of its natural elasticity, causing the breasts to lose their natural shape and firmness. After pregnancy and nursing, volume changes can exacerbate this process.
You might well be a candidate for a breast lift if:
- You want to lift and even enlarge your breasts (when combined with implants).
- Your breasts changed after pregnancy and breast-feeding.
- The natural aging effects of gravity caused your breasts to sag.
- Your nipples/areolas point down or to the side, or you want smaller areolas.
ABOUT Breast Lift Surgery
A breast lift raises and reshapes sagging breasts. This procedure elevates the breasts and gives them a more youthful appearance. The surgery usually takes one and a half to three hours.
Based on your breast size and shape, we will discuss the best surgical, least invasive surgical techniques. Some of the most common procedures are:
- An anchor-like incision along the underside of the breast. The incision is made around the area where skin will be removed, defining how the nipple will be relocated. When excess skin is removed, the nipple and areola are moved into a higher position. Any resulting scars are usually hidden by darker skin at the edge of the areola and virtually unnoticeable.
- If you have relatively small breasts and minimal sagging, you might be a candidate for the less invasive “doughnut (or concentric) mastopexy” in which circular incisions are made around the areola and a doughnut-shaped area of skin is removed.
- If you are both unhappy with the size of your breasts as well as their sagging, we can include breast implants during the breast lift procedure. Combining breast lift and breast augmentation is a popular option, and is often part of a “mommy makeover.”
After surgery, you must be prepared to rest and limit your movements, which will speed up the healing process and recovery time. Here is what you can expect:
- Bandages are applied immediately after surgery to aid the healing process and to minimize movement of the breasts. You should keep these on until your first post-operative visit.
- Once the bandages are removed, you will need to wear a specialized surgical bra or sports bra (without underwire) for several weeks.
- Patients may experience some mild bruising, and swelling is common for a week or two. Any discomfort can be treated with oral medication.
- It is important to remember that anytime incisions are created on the breast, nipple sensation can change.
- After your postoperative appointment, you may shower and wash your hair.
- Most patients feel quite comfortable after about 2 weeks and return to full activity in 4-6 weeks. But as with any surgery, the healing and maturing process continues well beyond that point.
Are you ready to regain a more youthful breast appearance? Would you like to select different clothing, bathing suits, or undergarments? Breast lift surgery, or mastopexy, can help you feel better about your breast image.
Before & After Photos
View Before and After photos of some of our satisfied patients who have chosen to work with Dr. Tepper.