Do you suffer from neck pain, upper back pain, or shoulder grooving? Do you have poor posture from heavy breasts? Do you wish you could wear different styles of clothing? Dr. Richard Tepper can help alleviate your symptoms and concerns with breast reduction surgery.
A breast reduction, also known as a reduction mammoplasty, surgically removes excess breast tissue and skin, and in the process, repositions the nipple at a higher level, resulting in a smaller, firmer and better-shaped breasts.
REASONS for Breast Reduction
Breast reduction surgery may be the right choice for you if:
- You suffer from neck, upper back and shoulder pain.
- You have poor posture because of your breasts.
- You have heavy, sagging breasts.
- You have shoulder grooves from the bra straps.
- You find it difficult to exercise or be active because of large, heavy breasts.
- You have some anxiety due to such large breasts.
- You are a non-smoker and in relatively good health.
A breast reduction may improve your quality of life and help you look and feel the way you deserve.
Insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery varies by insurance carrier. Dr. Richard Tepper will gladly discuss your individual needs and advise you as to the likelihood of coverage.
ABOUT Breast Reduction
During your consultation, Dr. Tepper will discuss the various surgical techniques and which might be best for you. Factors that help determine which breast reduction surgery technique to use include your individual breast composition, amount of reduction desired, and your personal goals.
One technique, often referred to as a “vertical reduction”, employs a circular incision around the areola with a second incision running down the undersurface of the breast toward the crease. The benefits of this approach include less scarring, but there is often more tissue bunching beneath the breast. Although temporary, patients need to understand that it may take a few months before the tissue becomes flatter and smoother.
Another technique is often referred to as a “Wise pattern” reduction (or “inverted T”) as the incision resembles such. In addition the circular incision around the areola and the vertical incision, there are also incisions in the crease beneath the breast to help contour the soft tissue.
Both methods can result in nicely shaped, smaller breasts. During your consultation with Dr. Richard Tepper, you will have an opportunity to learn whether one method is more favorable for your individual situation.
During breast reduction surgery:
- Surgery is often performed under general anesthesia in either a hospital or surgery center. Patients go home the same day.
- Incisions are made according to the planned procedure, as illustrated above, and skin and breast tissue are removed as required, resulting in a smaller breast size.
- The nipple and areola are elevated to a more pleasing position.
- Local anesthetic is inserted to help provide post-operative comfort.
- Small drains may be placed, and typically remain for about 48 hours.
- All incisions are sutured closed, and bandages are wrapped around your chest.
- Liposuction may be added as an adjunct to help contour any fullness on the sides of your chest or up near your axillary (arm pit) region.
RECOVERY from Breast Reduction
Patients should anticipate some soreness and discomfort that lasts a few days and oral pain medication may be used as needed. The first bandage change is performed on the second or third day, and any drains are removed. A soft, non-underwire bra or spandex bra is used to provide gentle support. It is always advisable to have someone drive you to the first post-operative visit.
Most patients can drive by the second week, and return to work in the second or third week. Normal activity can be resumed in about six weeks.
RESULTS of Breast Reduction
Patients who have undergone breast reduction surgery are among the most satisfied of any of the surgical procedure groups. You won’t believe the number of times women say …”why did I wait so long”….or ….” I’m so glad I finally did this!”
If you suffer from neck pain, shoulder grooving, back pain or poor posture, and have wondered about the benefits of surgery, perhaps it time to do something about it.
Before & After Photos
View Before and After photos of some of our satisfied patients who have chosen to work with Dr. Tepper.