Breast Augmentation with Implants
Are you disappointed in your breast shape? Do you feel that your breasts are too small? Do you have a size difference that affects what clothing you wear? Do you desire more voluptuous look? Dr. Richard Tepper can help improve your appearance with breast augmentation.
You may want to consider a breast augmentation if:
- Your breasts are too small, or you simply desire a larger, fully appearance
- You have a noticeable difference in the size of your breasts and want to try and achieve better symmetry
- You suffered volume loss or sagging after pregnancy and nursing.
Breast Surgery Gallery
About Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation surgery is often performed under anesthesia in a hospital or surgery center. Patients go home the same day. The length of surgery depends on whether the procedure involves simply placing implants or includes a breast lift or fat grafting component but is usually between two and three hours. Dr. Tepper will gladly discuss your concerns and options during your consultation.
When implants are being placed, an incision is created on the breast in order to create a pocket for the implant. This incision is most often in the crease beneath the breast but may also be along the edge of the areola, or even in the axillary (arm pit). Dr. Tepper will gladly explain the positives and negatives of these options.
The pocket (space) for the implant is most often behind the pectoralis muscle, and the procedure is often referred as a “sub-pectoral” or “retro-pectoral” augmentation. The implant is then inserted into the space using a “no-touch” technique. There are some potential benefits of placing the implant behind the muscle, and Dr. Richard Tepper will gladly discuss these with you. But perhaps the most obvious one is that the more your natural tissue covers the implant, the less likely you are to see rippling of the skin. The implant can be placed in front of the muscle as another option, and the look differs a bit. It is important for a prospective patient to understand the differences and be happy with the ultimate outcome.
Women can choose between saline (salt-water) and silicone gel implants, also known as “gummy bear” implants. Implants are available in a variety of shapes and sizes. And whereas most women prefer the look and feel of gel implants, other women prefer saline implants in case there is ever a leak.
Things such as visible rippling and capsular contracture may occur with either style of implant and the presence of one or both doesn’t necessarily indicate an implant or procedural problem.
Some points to consider about gel implants:
- Improved over older models, now employing “cohesive gel” technology. They are soft and pliable but do not leak when cut
- Tend to look and feel more natural than saline implants
- Require more maintenance to detect rupture or damage, including MRI exams
- Patients may still experience visible ripples and / or develop capsular contracture
- Cost more than saline
Patients often experience soreness and discomfort for several days. Here is what you can expect:
- Bandages, or a surgical wrap, are applied right after surgery to aid the healing process and to minimize movement of the breasts. You should keep these on until your first post-operative visit.
- Once the bandages are removed, you will wear a lightly supportive bra for several weeks.
- There is often some swelling, as well as a feeling of tightness in your chest, which will subside over time. Discomfort is treated with oral pain medication. Do not drive if you are taking pain medication.
- You may experience some sensory changes in the nipple area. Some women experience a heightened change, and reduced or even loss of sensation cannot be ruled out, even though such is very uncommon when implants are placed through small incisions in the breast crease.
- Patients are often seen within 2-3 days, and can begin to shower after that.
Most patients return to light activity in the second week, which may include a return to work around that time. Patients are fully healed for exercise after 4-6 weeks.
Your enhanced breast size can lead to greater self-confidence and personal sense of attractiveness. Why not consider what a breast augmentation can do for you?