Eye Lift (Blepharoplasty)
Do your eyes have dark circles, “bags” or excess wrinkles? Do you think that your eyes make you appear tired all the time, or older than you feel? An Eye Lift, or blepharoplasty, procedure may be right for you.
The eyes are one of the first areas of the face to show signs of aging. If your eyes make you look tired or older than you truly are, you may want to consider blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) to rid yourself of these signs of aging and brighten your appearance.
Eyelid surgery may be right for you if you have experienced any of the following:
- Bags under the eyes.
- Excess skin or wrinkles involving your upper or lower eyelids.
- A tired appearance.
Using various surgical techniques, Dr. Tepper can enhance the appearance of your eyes. Eyelid surgery can correct “bags”, a heavy appearance, excess skin and even drooping eyelids, creating a more youthful appearing eyelid.
About Eye Lifts
- Incisions are placed on the outside of the upper eyelid and may be placed inside or outside on the lower eyelid. Sometimes a combination of incisions is used.
- Dr. Tepper removes excess upper eyelid skin and excess fat if present. But care is needed to avoid over-removal of fat, which leaves a hollowed-out appearance.
- Lower eyelid fat deposits that cause the “bags” can be removed, along with any excess skin. If necessary, slight tightening of the lower lids can also help create a more youthful eyelid shape.
- Lower eyelid surgery may help lessen the dark circles that form beneath the eyes. Laser treatments, chemical peels and even injections can be also be used in this area.
- The surgery generally takes between one and three hours to complete and is performed in an outpatient setting.
- Since a low position of the eyebrows can cause a heaviness to the upper eyelid, something referred to as “hooding”, Botox is sometimes offered prior to surgery, for a better overall eyelid and eyebrow balance, without the need for any formal brow lifting surgery.
Eyelid surgery is often performed together with other facial rejuvenating procedures such as a face lift.
Dr. Tepper will supply you with post-operative instructors that meet your specific needs. Generally, they will include the following:
- You will need plenty of rest and limit your movements to accelerate your recovery and healing time.
- You may have minor pain associated with the surgery, which can be treated with oral medication.
- You may experience mild swelling and or bruising that often resolves within a week or two.
- Sutures are removed within the first week.
Complications are uncommon and patients can minimize the risk of potential problems by carefully following all pre-operative and post-operative instructions. Dr. Tepper will review all of this information with you at the time of your consultation.